By following a basic scientific principle, that what is consistently seen among many different observations is real, researchers have been able to identify twelve elements of near-death experiences. A near-death experiencer will include some if not all of these elements.
- Out of body experience. A total separation of consciousness from the physical body.
- Heightened senses.
- Intense and generally positive emotions or feelings.
- Passing through a tunnel.
- Encountering a mystical or brilliant light.
- Encountering other beings, either mystical beings or deceased relatives or friends.
- A sense of alteration of time or space
- A Life Review.
- Encountering unworldly realms.
- Encountering or learning special knowledge.
- Encountering a boundary or barrier.
- A return to the body either voluntary or involuntary.
(Long & Perry, Evidence of the Afterlife pg. 10, 2010)